Friday, November 7, 2014

Baba

I'm in the mood for a short blog. I don't remember what sparked it today, maybe it was watching the sitcom Modern Family, but I just wanted to describe how great dads are. I remember very little from my childhood, but I do remember when I was a wee little boy of probably a year or two, my father would carry me to the wash basin, bend one leg so I would stand on his thigh, and then bring a handful of water to my mouth to rinse. And I even vividly recall the specific shape of his cupped hand.
These things go so unappreciated that it is almost cruel! But that doesn't stop dads from keeping at it. I would get sick a lot when I used to study in Mumbai. Dad would always book a ticket straight away, come to Mumbai, stay in the hostel guest room till I felt better. The numerous Appy's, Lays potato chips to bring taste to my tasteless mouth are just how kind and caring dad is.
All the money sent our way without even a single question as to how or where I spend it? How do you repay that?
When we were kids dad used to take us to all these places of natural beauty. From lakes to dams to forests to watch the birds and trees. All these birds used to have these unique Rao family names, derived in part from our hilarious pronunciations as kids. And when at the end of the p i c n i c (yes we used to spell it) when we were too tired to walk back to our apartment, guess who would carry us and put us in bed. The love for nature that we have today, all the genuine interest in wildlife, especially birds, comes straight from dad. If it were a superficial interest in him in the first place, we couldn't have possible imbibed it.
The trip to a birding destination, Bharatpur, when I was old enough, will remain in the top 5 vacations/trips I have taken in my life! I mean it is this 25 sq km park, and this enthusiastic and energetic man pushing his fifties is biking with his 25 year old son throughout the sanctuary, taking me down routes he remembered from the numerous times he had been there before, it is just phenomenal richness of spirit. I could not be more happy that the first time I ever saw an eagle (crested serpent, or as dad called it crested sarpanch eagle), the first ever pair of beautiful Sarus cranes was with the man who taught me to know and love these majestic creatures. It is fitting, poetic justice.

All the riches that were ever desired were never in any bank account, they were with the two people that raised me up. To this day, if ever the front door rings with his characteristic double-bell, my face will always light up that my baba's home.. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment